As a result of missing Dutch culinary, I found a recipe for Kroketten from Youtube and voila! I still keep some of the kroket in the fridge for this afternoon snack 🙂
150 gr butter
100 gr plain flour
250 gr beef, I used minced beef, so I didn’t need to do chopping
2 lt water, to boil the beef and use the stock for the filling later
salt, pepper, nutmeg
extra plain flour for dusting
enough bread crumb for 10-12 kroket
1. Bring the water into boil and put in the beef until tender, approx.30 minutes. Set the beef aside, wait until cool and finely chop. Keep the stock.
2. Melt the butter in the pan and stir in the flour for a while (approx.3 minutes) until the flour is cooked enough, but do not burn it. Then, stir in the beef stock while keep stirring until it gets smooth like bechamel/white sauce. Add the chopped beef, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and keep stirring.
3. Pour the mixture into a glass pan and put in the fridge for 2-3 hours, so it can be easily divided into small pieces later.
4. Take it out from the glass pan and dust a bit with flour to avoid your hand from this sticky mixture. Divide it into some small pieces and with your hand, make it into kroket shape or you can make it like a ball. Make sure your hands also dusted with flour, so you can shape it easily.
5. Put them into loosely whisk egg and into the bread crumb.
6. Deep fry the kroket until golden brown and they are ready to serve.